Saturday, August 21, 2010

Haven't updated this for some time. Maybe it's time for a musical uptick, since I'm playing a lot more and am writing new compositions.

Well, it's like this. I play the blues, I paid my dues, you can't fit in my shoes, been around, got a big sound. Free--that's me. Standards--do them all--playing them since I was small. Jazz standards, ok. Write my own stuff all the way--from simple chordal vamps and blowin' tunes to complex through-composed choral piece based on poetry of Louisa Strous Boiman and the Third Book of Moses, Lamentations--What can I say? I play--bass clarinet, clarinet, soprano and tenor saxes, flute, non-western instruments and love Irish music. As well as world music. Give me complex meter--love the Balkan stuff. Klez? African? Western and Eastern European? All cool. Into Beethoven and Bartok. Produced records with my own groups playing my own original music on my own record label, 4th Stream Records. Led Free Life Communication, a NYC musicians’ coop in NYC in the ‘70s where I met Richie, Lieb, Greg, Mike, and the best people in the city. Hung out. Different scenes—uptown and downtown.

People I used to play with have moved to the west coast (Mike Mahaffay, d), or to Boston (Laurence Cook, d), or to New Jersey (Armen Halburian, p, Badal Roy, tabla, Perry Robinson, cl.) though I think Jackson Krall is still around. I've been playing w/ many violinists (Bob Stern (NY), Mikko Mikola (Finland), Louisa Strous Boiman (Berlin)), multiple keyboardists (Richie Beirach (Germany), Greg Kogan (NY), Mark Hennen(NY)). So, really, I don't know how to explain it. I have to say, I can play, come what may.

No comments: